Thursday 15 December 2016

Flippin' gift card!

Hello bloggists, and welcome.

You know I love action cards, right?    Here's today's card.  


Remove the belly band and pull the tab...
..to reveal a hidden message.  Keep pulling the tab and then...
...the flap fips over to reveal a surprise!

I saw a card like this on youTube some time ago, but the video just showed it in action, and didn't tell you how to make it.  I've been on a mission to find out how to do it ever since, and I finally found instructions in a book by Duncan Birmingham.  Here's how I made it -


Download the cutting diagram here

In the tutorial, I mentioned that there is a relationship between the size of the flap that flips over and the depth of the actuator.  The actuator is scored into four sections - the two outer ones are the tabs, the inner part is the action.  The formula for the action is (depth of flap minus 1tab)/2.  So, if the flap is 2 1/2 inches and the tabs are 1/2 inch, then the actuator needs to be (2 1/2 - 1/2)=2, divided by 2 = 1 inch.  Add two 1/2 inch tabs and the finished actuator should be 2 inches deep.  

It's worth practising this mechanism a few times so that you fully understand how it goes together, but I hope you agree that it's pretty impressive in action.

That's it for now, see you again soon,

Crafty Hugs,

Keren

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one.